If your child is not able to attend school for any reason, please report him/her absent. Call the school at (707)967-2772. It is the parents' responsibility to notify the school secretary when their child will miss school.
District policy states that absences must be cleared within 24 hours or they will remain unexcused.
Excused Absences include:
- Illness or injury of the student (If more than 3 consecutive days, we require a doctors note in order for the absence to be excused)
- Student attendance at a medical, optometric or chiropractic appointment
- Student attendance at the funeral service of an immediate family member (Up to two days)
- A quarantine imposed by a city or county health official
- Student service on a jury
- Exclusion from school due to head lice, lack of immunization, or physical examination
- Observance of a holiday or ceremony of his/her religion
Unexcused (Truant) Absences
Unexcused absences include:
- Out of town
- Family vacations and extended weekend trips.
- Oversleeping (Unexcused or tardy)
- Car trouble/traffic
- Absences that were not cleared within 24 hours
Promptness is an important "life skill" for our students to develop and for adults to model. Students who arrive at school after the 8:25 bell or are not in line are considered tardy and must go to the office before going to class. Parents may be referred to have a meeting with the principal for frequent tardiness.
Please note: Please plan accordingly to ensure that your child arrives to school on time. Late arrivals interrupt instruction and disrupt the entire class.
If it is necessary for your child to be absent 5 or more days for a reason other than illness, "Independent Study" is an alternative to the regular classroom instruction during that time. It must be understood that this does not replicate the educational program occurring during the child's absence. If you wish to use this option please notify the office at least 5 school days prior to the first date of the planned absence to apply for Independent Study. Once you have been approved, the parent, teacher, and administration will sign contracts and agree to complete the assigned work within a specific timeline. Note: Independent Study contracts do not apply for the months of December and January. Independent Study valid once a scholar year.
Once a student gets to school, he/she is required to stay the entire day or until that student is dismissed. Each student leaving school property during school hours will be required to have a note signed by the parent or guardian with a telephone number IF the person picking the student up is other than parent or legal guardian.
OBTAINING AN EARLY DISMISSAL:
- A written explanation from a parent or guardian is to be turned into the office on the morning of the early dismissal. A telephone number must accompany the request so the dismissal can be confirmed.
- If a student is granted an early dismissal, the parent or guardian must sign the student out in the school office at the designated time.
- Upon return from an early dismissal (same day), the parent will be expected to go to the office and mention that student is back.
- Telephone requests for early dismissal of a student will not be honored due to safety and security concerns.
Visitor Passes: We have many visitors on our school grounds each day, including parents, volunteers, and others. Every visitor to St Helena Primary School must sign in and get a visitor sticker from the office before going on the school grounds or to the classrooms. This helps to keep our campus safe!